When you can’t ‘Enter the Other Side’

April25

Due to logistical issues, I am considering changing my performance and the apparatus used within it. Although using the silks has been an idea I wished to use from the beginning, issues with access to space and ensuring the right people are available have made me less confident in risking the aerial concept.

Therefore I began to create a plan B for my concept. In her original performance of Entering the Other Side, Marina Abramovic stood on a ladder for the entirety of her 7 hour performance. The ladder can be seen as a means to get to the other side, or to reach a different point. In discussing my ideas, it was suggested that the steps can represent different points within your life, different ages or different stages of achievement. Therefore I chose to use the ladder as my basis to try and reach the other side.

I still wish to use the concept linked to Dorothy and Alice (Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland). From these characters the concepts of trying to reach equal rights could be deduced, if the characters are seen as the gay icons they are often depicted as. Or it could be trying to reach perfection, these characters are like dolls, with perfect looks who achieve happiness by the end of their stories.

As there are so many different readings that can be taken from this, I thought of leaving questions in the space and post it notes. This way the audience can react to what they are seeing and leave feedback. Therefore they are actively involved within the piece and have to engage with what they are seeing in order to respond to the questions.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: